Greyromantic or Greyaromantic (also spelled as Grayromantic or Grayaromantic) is a romantic orientation on the aromantic spectrum which
describes those who relate with aromanticism, yet feel that there are parts of their experience that aren't fully described by the word aromantic. Greyromantic can be used as a specific identity, or as an umbrella term for any aro-spec identity that isn't purely aromantic, including demiromantic and others.
A common reason someone may identify as greyromantic is that they experience romantic attraction but very infrequently. Some greyromantic individuals may only feel romantic attraction once or twice in their life. Others may experience it more frequently, but still not as frequently as alloromantic individuals.
Some greyromantic experiences may include:
- Experiencing romantic attraction infrequently.
- Experience romantic attraction very weakly.
- Feeling romantic attraction but not desiring a romantic relationship.
- Feeling unsure about how to identify romantic attraction or how to draw the line between romantic and non-romantic, and consequently feeling unsure about having experienced it or not.
- Experiencing attraction that is only ambiguously romantic.
- Feeling alienated from romance.
- Feeling attraction only in specific circumstances.
- Finding aromanticism a useful idea, even if it isn't a perfect fit.
Greyromantic can be an orientation on its own or it can be combined with other romantic orientations. For example, one could be greyromantic and homoromantic (grey-homoromantic), meaning that one rarely experiences romantic attraction, but when they do it's only ever towards those of the same/similar gender.
Greyromantic is also sometimes used as an umbrella term for any aro-spec identity that is not purely aromantic.
The sexual counterpart of greyromantic is greysexual.
The creator of the greyromantic flag is unknown, but it was based on the layout of the greysexual flag, but with green instead of purple to represent aromanticism.
The second flag was coined by Angel on December 3rd, 2020. The darker shades represent occasional attraction, the mid-way shades represent being on the aro spectrum, the lightest shades represent feeling no romantic attraction, and the white represents community.
The third flag was proposed by Apollo on November 21st, 2020. The stripes do not have any meaning, but go from green to gray as a reference to the aromantic flag and spectrum.
On June 28, 2021, another flag was submitted by Nyoomster on the LGBTA+ wiki discord. The flag should recapture the feeling that comes with being in a grey zone, signalised by the grey boarders surrounding the green colors of the aro spectrum. The greens have been given a slightly lighter and refined shade to hint at the uncertainty that may come with being greyromantic and to give it a more modern and easy to recognise look.
- ↑ https://shades-of-grayro.tumblr.com/post/188819497530/hello-i-was-just-wondering-greyromantic-is
- ↑ https://lgbta.wikia.org/f/p/4400000000000048212/r/4400000000000108986
- ↑ https://twitter.com/GUNDHAMIRL/status/1330324628967927808